Dear MDS members,
Due to the Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) the Minnesota Dahlia Society will not be able to have our annual live tuber sale event at Bachman’s. Instead we will be selling the tubers online on the MDS website. We will have an order pick-up event at Bachman’s north parking lot.
We will rely on a select group of volunteers that are outside of the high-risk category, to assist in packaging orders and helping out the in-person pick-up. We cannot ask anyone to risk their health but we don’t know everyone well enough to know who is in the high risk group. Please don’t volunteer if you know that you are in that population or feel uncomfortable. It is important that each group include someone knowledgeable about evaluating tuber eyes and general viability.
Online Sales will start on April 4th and Pick-up will be on April 18th so we will be packing up orders between those two dates. In order to keep our gatherings small, we want to meet many times rather than a single big event.
Kyle has offered his garage or driveway (depending on weather) to do this, and just asks that you call him to setup a time. Kyle Cassidy
There will be a few of us that can login to the website to print out invoices: Eric Thomson, Amy Simonson, Kyle Cassidy. Let me know if you want to be trained and given access as well.
Please email or call Eric Thomson if you have questions or want to volunteer.
We are following all precautions that are recommended to avoid any close contact.
- Our volunteers must wear gloves. We have rubber faced garden gloves and a volunteer is making us some masks.
- We have not been able to find hand sanitizer, so we will rely on soap and water.
- Pick-up a printed invoice and a white T-shirt bag then go “shopping” to gather the tubers, being mindful to give others 6 feet of space.
- Inspect each tuber for an eye and general viability. Put as many of a single variety as ordered, into one plastic sandwich bag and write the variety name on the bag with a marker.
- Put each filled bag into the T-shirt bag. When the order is complete, staple the invoice to it.
- There will be some orders that paid for Shipping. The bags will need to be collected into a shipping box instead. If there is not room to add some newspaper or insulation for padding, transfer to a larger box. Put the invoice in the box.
- We will have cars pull up on either side of the tent and keep volunteers more than 6 feet apart.
- Orders were paid online so we don’t need any face to face exchange.
- Just ask them to hold up the printed invoice to the window, so we can find the matching order.
- We will load orders into the car’s trunk or back seat, just like they do at our grocery store.
There is an option to have the package shipped; shipping charges will apply. We will need volunteers to drop-off prepaid packages at the post office, a few at a time.
Online Sales will start on April 4th at 9:00 am central time and
will go through midnight of April
10th. This page will become the sales page when the sale
There will be photographs and classification information. You can Add to Cart, View Cart, Modify Quantity, and complete transaction online using a credit card. Print out your invoice and bring it to pick-up.
Pick-up will be at Bachman’s on Lyndale Ave, in the north parking lot on April 18th from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm. Bring a printout of your Invoice.
We would like to spread the traffic out to
avoid a long line in the morning.
If last name starts with the letter A – L then pick-up from 10:00 am to 11 :30 am
If last name starts with the letter M – Z then pick-up is from 11:30 am to 2:00 pm
Stay healthy and hope we can all be together at some point soon
Your MDS board