Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum closed its gates to the public and only essential workers were allowed on the grounds. Due to the circumstances, we were not allowed to get into the Arboretum to plant the Trial Garden. However, thanks to the help of long-time member an ADS Trail Garden Committee member, the ADs has allowed us to plant our Trial Garden at Kyle Cassidy’s. The ADS allowed this move both due to the unusual circumstances of this pandemic and due to Kyle’s exception garden and gardening skills.
Dear Dahlia Society Members,
I’m writing again to enlist your help in the Trial Garden for July. We need volunteers to help on the following Saturdays:
- Aug 8th: Joan Vann and John Kooiman Leading
- Aug 15th: Kyle Cassidy and John Kooiman Leading
- Aug 22nd: Larry and Sue Bagge Leading
- Aug 29th: Karen and Heidi Zierdt Leading
Please e-mail, text, or call me to sign up. Please do not just show up. We are trying to keep the teams to just 5 or 6 people each Saturday out at Kyle Cassidy’s from 9-11 AM.
I want to thank everyone for the great response in June. With all the help from the volunteers the Trial Garden is looking its best in years. This is a great place for everyone to learn how to grow and take care of dahlias whether you are growing for show or just for fun. Come and join us.
John Kooiman, Trial Garden Director
Kyle has graciously allowed us to use his property and plant this year’s entries in one of his fallow gardens. With this comes some changes and responsibilities.
- Because of Covid-19, we are limiting workers to a total of 5-6 people working in the garden each Saturday. So sign up is important!
- Anyone that is interested in working in the Trial Garden will need to contact John Kooiman by phone, email, or text to claim a spot.
- Work will take place every Saturday from 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
- This is Kyle’s private property and residence which he is graciously allowing us to use for the Trial Garden. Please be respectful and do not enter his house, garages, or private gardens. If you are not sure about something, be sure to ask for permission! Do not show up without having made arrangements with John Kooiman.
We have arranged 4 team leaders who will be rotating Saturdays. Teams are set as follows:
- Saturday, June 13th – Kyle Cassidy and John Kooiman
- Saturday, June 27th, – Larry Bagge
- Saturday, June 27th, – Karen Zierdt
- July 4th is off
- Saturday, July 11th – Joan Vann and John Kooiman
- Now repeat!
All questions or concerns should be directed to John Kooiman, Co-Director of the North Central Trial Garden.